Main Menu

Part I: Qalat

Started by Krathognis, June 14, 2021, 04:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krathognis

To call Qalat a settlement would be generous. Qalat stands out like a scar on the otherwise green expanse of the surrounding Kazen rainforest. rain slicked shacks and hovels line the muddy tracks outside of the main fort wall. Fort Qalat serves two purposes.  Primarily is is a trading post and garrison for Kazen navy.  however, over the past decade or so it has quietly grown into a dumping ground for the sentient refuse of other nations.  Criminals, vagrants, and political prisoners of all stripes are packed aboard ships and quietly deposited in Qalat to never be heard from again... for a small fee to the Kazen government of course. 

This influx of bodies has led to the shanty town around the fort expanding to the point that it is becoming difficult for the local naval brass to truly govern, but has also offered several opportunities.  Firstly, the excess population makes for a nearly endless supply of fresh labor and has allowed the local officers to open a not so secret slave market.

This is the landscape that you find yourself thrust into.  newly dropped off at the docks and unsure of what the future holds.

MaesterYoda

As Kuri stepped off the boat, and out into the early morning mists, his pale, green eyes were never still. They took in the creaking docks, already busy with bodies and goods, and the shanty town, with it's hovels and shacks in various stages of neglect and disrepair. Beyond, they appraised the walls of the fort, a stark contrast of maintenance and strength.

Following close behind him, twice his size and looking uncomfortable and grouchy without his chainmail and greatsword, Enrik yawned and stretched, popping one shoulder with an audible crack.

The sounds of creaking wood and waves slapping against the hulls of boats was ever present, though not so loud as to cover the cries to and from the ships as the docked or made their way out to sea again. The city of Qualot smelled of despair and the sea.

His emerald gaze was fixed on the others departing the boat ahead of them, watching as the first former prisoner to reach the docks approached a low table strewn with equipment.

His expression brightened as he saw the woman recieving a short sword, some well-worn armor, a shield, and a couple of daggers, as the attendant checked the items off a list. His face finally cracked into a wide smile as he saw his own gear laying out, and he clapped a hand on his brothers shoulder, saying, "It's not the end of the world, Kuri. Just another stop along the way. I'm pretty sure I know a guy here, maybe he can set us up with some work."

Kuri winced as the heavy hand landed, twisting out from under it as they reached the end of the gangplank. "I think you're 'contacts' have done quite enough for us lately, brother. It was your job that got us arrested and thrown out of the entire damn country, after all," he said, quietly, and in Orcish.

Enrik laughed, the sound loud and abrupt in the early morning air. Saying no more, he pushed past his brother and toward his sword and chain, Kuri mumbling Orcish curses under his breath as he followed. Eyes still taking in their surroundings, he focused now on the other passengers.

They hadn't made any open enemies of the strangers they shared passage with, but Kuri knew Enrik had been gambling the night before, and now that everyone was getting their weapons back, a bit of paranoia would only be prudent.

JarlAxleRose

The ship came to a halt and Airdan awakened from his terribly uncomfortable sleep. He gazed down at his wife and gave a slight smile. “Here’s to hoping for a more quiet life” he said under his breath. Cellica opened her eyes and smiled up at Airdan.

“Seems we have reached the destination. Perhaps we should leave this luxurious ship and make our way down to the resort my love.”

Airdan laughed a little bit. After all she has been through, Cellica still managed to keep her dry sense of humor. They grabbed their belongings and made their way off of the ship.

Airdan looked around and saw the land that he was prepared to call home for himself and his wife. He winced at some of the mistreated workers while Cellica seemed to be stone faced towards it all. Shouldn’t come as a surprise knowing that she has seen much worse.

Cellica, not having eaten a hot meal in weeks noticed a small vendor tent selling some stew and bread. Her emerald green eyes widened and made haste for the tent to eat something that was actually edible and had flavor.

“AIRDAN! LOOK!!! HOT FOOD!!!”

As she ran towards the tent, she tripped and bumped into a large orc male standing next to a half elf male…

Krathognis

Kuri, as you scan the area you notice an elven couple disembarking.  One of them, the female, suddenly takes off with abandon toward the closest food vendor.  The long weeks on the sea must have taken a toll on her however as she stumbles on the slick and uneven cobble of the docks and tumbles directly toward your brother.

Enrik you are all but oblivious to the commotion around you as your sights are set on recovering your gear.

MaesterYoda

As he scanned the area, Kuri noticed a couple he had seen a few times on the passage Enrik, but hadn't paid much attention too, disembarkimg behind them. He continued scanning the other passengers, until he noticed the woman pick up her pace, but relaxed again as he heard her raise her voice, pointing out a food vendor. 'I could use a bite myself,'he thought, wondering how he would pay.

Then she tripped, right behind his brother, and his hand was automatically going for a dagger that wasn't there.

Enrik grunted as he felt a collision from behind, turning with violent intent, to take in the sight of a slight Elvish woman. Relaxing, letting his clenched fist uncurl, he asked, 'What's the rush, miss?'

JarlAxleRose

Airdan tensed up as he saw his wife stumble into the large half-orc but gave a sigh of relief when he didn't show a sign of aggression towards Cellica. He casually walks up to his wife's side as Cellica apologized profusely in fluent orcish.

Cellica, after bumping into the half-orc (in orcish) says "I'm so sorry for bumping into you!  Please forgive me! It's just that all I've eaten was stale bread and cold rations for so long that I lost myself when I saw the hot stew over there!"

Airdan gets to his wife's side now and helps her up. "Please good sir. I apologize for the inconvenience. I see you have the same bewildered look upon your face as all of us other, shall we say, travelers. I humbly offer to purchase a meal for you and your companion. It's been a long time since we've had friendly conversation."